Thursday, June 16, 2011

Thing # 4

          Commenting is vital to blogs.  Without commenting it would be a bunch of individual rants.  People are putting their thoughts out there because they want to be heard.  The want other's to see their point of view and they want to know that other's relate to them or identify with them in some way.  When people comment either positively or even in contrast to one's perspective it can create a sense of community or open one's eyes to other points of view depending on the nature of the comment. 
            One piece of advice I gathered from the readings related to commenting and one that I am constantly trying to remind myself of is not to use sarcasm when communicating with technology.  It does not translate well!:) Secondly, I was unaware that there was so much "blog etiquette."  I didn't know so many people were so serious or so seriously sensitive about responding to responses and what not.  I suppose it is something I will have to keep in mind.  Holding back sarcasm and avoiding neglect might be asking a lot.  Might have failed already:)

As for the commenting itself...I have been trying but it keeps rejecting my openID and I don't even know what is happening when I attempt to use the google account option so, if anyone can explain to me what my problem is I would be much obliged.

So, I did go back and complete my commenting quota, as follows:

Commented back on my own # 13 in response to Lee about Mac and PC issues.
Commented 3 times on my own #4 about commenting
Commented on Kristen Edward’s # 2 about Avatars.
Commented on Shara’s #1 commending her seeing the big picture first.
Commented on Spurlock’s #22 about Livebinders being an unneeded step.
Commented on Kathy Yung’s #12 agreeing with her about our lack of bigshot status and therefore the lack of need for a calendar.
Commented on Carneal’s #23 about having to create so many new accounts.

6 comments:

  1. I really relate to your comment about making an effort to not be sarcastic when communicating with technology. I struggle with it myself. It is so easy to forget how much communication is NONverbal such as body language, tone of voice, and facial expressions.

    I too didn't realize there was so much "blog etiquette" out there, but when I stopped to think about it, it is common sense. Just be kind and considerate to others. I really enjoyed reading your insightful post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And how the heck did you leave a comment? What do you select for the id part?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wanted to read your thoughts on commenting, and I think you have made some good points. I think it's difficult to get what is going through your mind down in print so that it accurately expresses what you want to say. The advantage of being able to see a body and read facial expressions is absent, and all we have to go by is the words. I have been guilty of writing e-mails and posts that have come across too strong...not that I intended them to do so. I am learning

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm... not sure what your problem was, but perhaps it was related to that "computer specific" problem you had in the lab. I had no trouble commenting from my PC (on it now) into your blog.

    HOWEVER (uh-oh, here it comes), you could have listed the blogs you WOULD have commented in, had you been able to do so, and why you chose those.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did actually comment on a few people once I figured it out. I just hadn't come back in and edited this post to explain who, what and why because the instructions said this could be done throughout the 23Things. I won't skip it. I will get to it before the completion date. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. In fact that anonymous comment above was from me:)

    ReplyDelete